Saturday, June 18, 2011

La Esperanza: Nadia's view June '11

La Esperanza, Honduras, C.A.
June 8th, 2011
A kind serving smile and a grateful goodbye
 La Esperanza, a small town surrounded by the greenest of mountains, located on the west side of the country is the place where I have grown up and spent most of the years of my childhood.  It is a hometown which given me many wonderful memories and experiences through the years, and this year it was without exception the opportunity that I had to meet the AHMEN Team. 
While at a regular work days working at the office I heard of a medical brigade coming to town. My interest at that moment was a good feeling for the communities without more being accomplished.  Days later, I was told through my work partner that they might need help in a case of translation.   I a glance at my desk full of papers, and thought who else could go instead of me?  The week was almost over and hadn’t told anybody to cover  for me, so decided then that I must clear my desk and get ready to help, after all why not to make a bit more of an effort and get myself organized.  
Sunday was the first day, spent sitting at the bench of the little school while waiting for the activities to start. Thoughts still came of how short the weekend had become, but  at the same time how worthwhile  it was to collaborate with these strange people who came from miles away to this remote area and gave a hand to our communities in need.  While thinking this, the minutes passed and we saw the AHMEN Team arrive in Santa Anita, accompanied by other girls from the office we were introduced to each other and soon got in our assigned positions to help and start passing a good number of people that from one second to other show up in need of medical attention.   Medicine supplies were accommodated in whatever table would be available, two little improvised desks to set medical tools on and one by one, single mothers, single parents, entire families and even the grandparents of the families were attended to.  It didn’t feel like a work day, among jokes and some “spanglish” conversations things went well.   I had the opportunity to work closely with Brian Price, translating and helping him in communicating with the patients, although I could say we both learned from each other and with random hand gestures made it a fun experience. I enjoyed seeing the children laughing whenever asked to open their mouth widely and say “ahhgg” and others just so curious of the instruments on the table.  I admired him and the other members for the smiles and dedication for each patient they had, and how people where grateful for it and returned it with a smile back.  
Monday came and there was the entire team ready at Lepaterique, a small village located outside of La Esperanza.  The big majorities of its habitants live in very poor economic conditions and have little access to medicine. The local hospital of La Esperanza experiences these problems as well which occasionally runs out of medicine or is in short supply. The same conditions are seen at the next stop in the community of San Fernando but with a higher number of people to attend, the hours passed as an exchange of greetings marked our day from “buenos días, buenas, to a buenas tardes”.  These days went so fast, and why didn’t it feel like an obligation?  My answer is that I am thankful for all those who have been so supportive in the accomplishment of these missions in our country and letting us be part of it.  
Best wishes to all the team; Mr. and Mrs. Brady, Dr. Camp, Byron, Mariposa, Michael Miguel, Brian, Lauren, James and Delmar, each one accomplishing an important role in their mission here, and who shall not be anymore strangers in our lives. 
Nadia Pineda





No comments:

Post a Comment