Thursday, February 17, 2011

Gloria Lacayo remembers working with AHMEN

AHMEN and Gloria Layaco have been working together since the first team went to Limon, Honduras some 13 years ago.  These are some of her memories of our working together.  For those of us who worked with Gloria, we remember her tireless energy, her commitment to sick people, and wonderful big heart.  Gloria continues to be an inspiration to AHMEN.
My experiences with AHMEN Missionary Group

I can say that with AHMEN, I have had great  experiences.
One day we went to Punta Piedra, and while I was unpacking, a lady came to ask me if I could find a doctor to go and see her sister at home, because she was very sick and could not walk. Dr. Tom Camp was the team leader, and I gave him her message. At lunch time we went to see her sister with two doctors and about three nurses and a pastor, the nurses and doctors took care of her and the pastor said a prayer and we left. About two months later I saw this lady in Limon and she told me that two weeks after we visited her she was walking again. 
Many nurses rescued babies from malnutrition, because they were delivered at the clinic, and after the members of the team found out that the parents were poor, they sponsored the babies, some even were named after the nurses and doctors who helped the family.

 And if I mention all the patients sent to the hospital by the mission for specific treatment and surgery I think I will never finish writing.

Our trips to Tocamacho and Pueblo Nuevo, by invitation from Dr. Luther Castillo Harris, and Jesus Cacho, were fantastic; and I admired how those missionaries risked their lives in a storm, and crossed rivers on barges and traveled on the beach to reach and serve those communities.

I want to thank the Guffys (Guf an Mary) for inviting me last year to work with them in Belaire, and also the rest of the team ( Gregg, Peggy, Sharon, Doris and Brent) also Jose and Evelyn Castellar, who are like angels for those people that they support in this  remote area of Honduras.

I am sure that God will continue making wonderful work through AHMEN
MISSIONARY GROUP.

Gloria Lacayo  Feb. 2011


PIcture of Gloria in “her lab” at the Carolina Clinic in Limon, Honduras.  Her she is checking Sister Eleanor's brother Dick blood for malaria and blood sugar

No comments:

Post a Comment